Sunday, April 10, 2011

Food storage

Last week when the Government was debating shutting down, it made me realize two things.  1:  I'm really grateful to be married to a husband who is so great with money (except when he gets great ideas on how to make money...like buying a 5th wheel) and 2: I really need to start on food storage.  Here is a picture of our pantry.  In addition to this we have a box of Bugles and Cheerios that my Mom got us last time she was here at a case-lot sale.  I'm guessing that we have enough food to last us maybe two weeks.  Shame on me...I know.

I don't know why it's so hard for me to get excited about food storage.  Every time that I think about how I need to start, I come up with these excuses:
  • I don't have any room.  We have a small pantry which is already pretty full.  All of our other cabinets are full...Yes, I do need 100 mis-matched containers of Tupperware and lids.
  • It'd be expensive.  Especially now that I'm doing a cash only budget.  Considering that I only have $3 left until Friday, I'm not sure how I'd try to start building up our food storage also.
  • I don't know what I'd cook.  I know that the point of food storage is to eat what you have, and that you should rotate your cans so that they don't go bad.  I generally rotate two meals: spaghetti and chicken with rice.  Thankfully Roo isn't picky and NEVER has complained!
I think that I'll just start by buying a couple of cans of food every time that I go grocery shopping.  That way it won't cost too much...or be too overwhelming.  And next time I'm at Sams Club I'll pick up a 5 lb bag of Sour Patch Kids (I'm sure that counts).  I'm still not sure where I'll store it, but I know that it's important to do, and I want to be able to take care of our family in a worse case scenario.  

No comments:

Post a Comment