Saturday, April 2, 2011

5K complete

I was not looking forward to the 5K this morning.  I had a couple of valid reasons why I didn't want to run.  I consider myself pretty independent, but getting Ryan ready, finding the race, and mingling with 300+ other runners seemed pretty intimidating to me.  Plus I ended up getting a blister on my foot.  If I didn't need a pedicure desperately, I would have taken a picture to prove it.  I ended up going though because I didn't want the people in my life to think that I am flake and don't go through with things that I say I'll do.

The race started at 10:00.  I woke up around 8:50 and got dressed.  This is the new top and headband that I bought for the race.  The top ended up being a little small (it squished my back fat out the sides), but it was really light-weight and didn't hug the stomach...which I LOVE!
Awkward self photo...almost as awkward as asking a stranger to take your picture.  Which I do later.


By the time that I got Ryan ready and we got in the car it was about 9:20.  Of course as soon as I got Ryan strapped into his car seat I realised that I forgot my IPod in the room.  I figured that I'd really be running late by the time that I unstrapped him and ran up the two flights of stairs, so I decided to run with out it.  Yuck.

I found the race site and joined the crowd.  They asked the runners who thought that they might finish in under17 minutes to be at the front.  Needless to say, that was NOT us.  Going into this I had a personal goal of running it in under 30 minutes.  About 2 minutes into it I decided that I needed to re-evaluate that, and made a new goal of 45 minutes.

Ryan and I pre-race


Awkward stranger shot...hopefully I didn't seem too narcissistic


The group 


Ryan was such a good sport during the run


I know that I have the same expression on my face in each picture...but believe me, I was feeling it.  By mile 1 I had to pee.  By mile 2 I felt like I was in the early stages of labor.  And by mile 3 I felt like I had just given birth (don't hate me moms who went through natural child birth...I'm sure that hurts just a tad bit more)


We made it!!  Of course I forgot to look at my watch to see what my time was, but by the time that I remembered it was 37 minutes, so I'm thinking I ran it in about 36 mins.


I put water in his hair during the race...and when it dried it looked like I had put gel in it.  So cute!


After the race I figured that I'd celebrate by getting some samples from Sams Club.  For some reason though they weren't handing any out.  We still had a good time enjoying the air conditioning though.


Look at that hair!

3 comments:

  1. Great job! 36 minutes pushing Ryan. Excellent. You look good before and AFTER.

    I don't know why we have all serious men in our lives. Ryan is one serious looking guy with great hair do. I think I have more hair than he does. But he looks so much better and cutter. Life is so unfair.

    Did you get at least a T-shirt? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! I only run if my life depends on it; I can't imagine doing it for fun...

    Good for you, and I love the photos! Take care.

    ReplyDelete