Friday, September 13, 2013

 I can't believe that Tyler is already almost two weeks old...it's gone by so quick!  I figure I'll tell you guys his birth story--though I doubt any body is to interested.  Since I have a c-section with Ryan I was scheduled to have one with Tyler because they don't do VBAC's where we live.  My mom really wanted me to try one but to do that I would have had to go to Lubbock which is an hour and a half away.  As unpredictable as babies are that didn't sound appealing to me so we scheduled my c-section for the 4th.  We had a fun day Saturday of swimming and that night Roo and I took advantage of having my Mom be here by going to Sonic for a late night snack.  After we ate my stomach started cramping--nothing too major but enough for Roo to Google what contractions were.  Google said that "real" contractions last 60 seconds to 90 seconds--which my pains were only about 20 seconds long.  Roo figured that it was just gas (I guess we've been married to long because that would normally be a good guess).  I called the hospital to see what they suggested doing and they said that if I was concerned I could come in and get checked out.  I tried to see which doctor was on call because I really wanted to see who I had scheduled the c-section with but they said they didn't give out that information over the phone.  I told Roo that I'd try to ride it out because it wasn't that bad yet.  About an hour later they were getting a little stronger (but not longer) so I said that we should just go get checked out just in case.  Worse case they would just send me home.
    We checked into the hospital at 12:14 as they were getting stronger.  They hooked me up to monitors and said that they would leave me there for 30 minutes to see a pattern of what the contractions were doing.  By that point I knew that I wasn't going to last for 30 minutes so thankfully she checked me to see if I was dilated.  I was and to a 7.  By that point they started to move quickly to get me into the OR for my c-section.  By the time we got to the OR my water had already broken and it was just time for me to push--with no drugs!!  I have never been one to ever want to have a natural birth or would even want to attempt to try it without drugs, so this was quite a mental challenge for me.  By that point though I didn't have much of a choice and just had to push.  Thankfully it only took about 6 or 7 pushes before Tyler arrived at 1:26--I'm not sure that I could have handled much of a longer labor.  Hats off to ladies who are in labor for hours or even days!
    My Mom was really happy (and I guess that she'd been praying that I would have a natural birth--and she must be living more righteous than myself because by that point I was praying for drugs) and overall I am grateful that I didn't have to have major surgery--though next time I will definitely get drugs!

His first picture


Of course with my c-section I planned on having my hair done the night before so that I could finally get some flattering hospital pictures--maybe next time.


Happy Grandma!



So comfortable with Daddy.


Ty sleeps like a champ during the day and not so much at night--hopefully one of these days he'll get his schedule sorted out.


My Mom has done a great job at being on baby duty.  The past two mornings I've handed him off before 5 a.m--I'm going to miss her when she's gone!


So cute when he sleeps!




2 comments:

  1. Wow!! So glad he's here safe and both of you are well! He is a handsome little guy! I love your blog and your witty sense of humor! Tell Roo hello from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love birth stories! Congrats! I had my three natural w/no drugs by choice...I can't imagine how it must be for people who didn't plan to do it that way, but you handled it like a champ! Tyler is precious. I know Ryan will be a great big brother!

    ReplyDelete